Friday, September 2, 2011

Zeke and bedtime

Wow, 2 posts in one night!

So, I have a 3 year old (Zeke) and a 1 year old (Madie)(15 months to be exact). Zeke is a sport. He is all boy and Madie is all girl. Today, Madie (pronouned May-dee)  found a camera with a string handle and carried it around for an hour like it was a purse. She loves having bows in her hair, wearing bracelets, and prances around like such a little lady.

Our son, Zeke, on the other hand, loves to rough and tumble and do anything that involves being outside. His whole little life, he has been a great sleeper. I read Baby Wise when I was pregnant with him, so when he was born I was determined to put him on a strict schedule. So, from the start, he has gone to bed on time and taken a nap like a champ. Lately though, bedtime has been a struggle. When he knows it's time for bed he will say, "will you set the timer for 2 minutes? (and he'll hold up 2 fingers)". So, we set the timer on the microwave for 2 minutes and when it goes off, he goes right to bed. We tuck him in and say our prayers, but soon after, he will get up and need something. Sometimes he'll want a sip of water. Sometimes he needs to go potty. Sometimes he'll just want one of us to come tuck him in again. Finally, he will go to sleep in his own bed. BUT, every night (sometime after midnight) he will get up, walk across the house, and come get in our bed. Part of me really wants to MAKE him stay in his bed and sleep the whole night there, but the other part of me says that this will only last for a time. It's just a phase. Cherish this time when he wants to be close to us. So, that is what I plan to do. I know that he will only be this little once and in a few weeks he may not even be doing this anymore. So...I choose to love it. As much as I value my sleep...I cherish his little feet in my back and his arm across my face.

Tonight, however, he is spending the night with his grandparents, so I will cherish my full night of comfortable rest!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment